It turns to the south to pass under Station Road at Erneford Bridge, close to Erneford House, which is constructed of colourwashed bricks with a pantile roof and dates from 1700.
At South Pickenham, the river passes through the parkland of Pickenham Hall, which covers an area of 139 acres (56 ha).
At Whittington, the river becomes navigable, and is surrounded by fenland.
The river passes through the parkland of the Arts and Crafts Pickenham Hall, and further downstream, flows through the Army's Stanford Training Area, which was created in 1942 by evacuating six villages.
The water provided power for at least two mills, at Hilborough and Northwold.
The nearby village of Stanford was one of six evacuated to make way for the Stanford Training Area in 1942.
Beyond the junction, the river turns to the west, and passes gravel pits near Ickburgh.
and then flowing along the northern edge of Bradenham.